Great Yorkshire show
JamesDean
2005-07-09 20:16:29 UTC
its the great yorkshire show next week, so does anyone know what
scouting is doing at it? i'm going to the event for the first time on
tuesday, it'd be nice to see some scouting shouting happening
Dave
2005-07-10 16:19:56 UTC
Post by JamesDean
its the great yorkshire show next week, so does anyone know what
scouting is doing at it? i'm going to the event for the first time on
tuesday, it'd be nice to see some scouting shouting happening
Probably nothing!!!

It is a long time since I have been but there was nothing then. The SL of
the Troop I am now with goes every year and has never mentioned anything
about any Scouting involvement.

DaveB
West Yorks
Martin Whelan
2005-07-10 16:33:11 UTC
Post by Dave
It is a long time since I have been but there was nothing then. The SL of
the Troop I am now with goes every year and has never mentioned anything
about any Scouting involvement.
DaveB
West Yorks
The Lincolnshire Show which is a similar status event has never had any
SCouting involvement as far as i can recall, mainly due to cost/benefit
and time (most of these shows are during the week). To be honest I am
not sure how much could be gained from attendence at these events other
than raising the profile of Scouting amongst a generally supportive
cohort. Personally would prefer to see money spent on either delivering
activities or on projects increasing the profile of SCouting within
communities at rish of social exclusion.

Martin
Chris Atkinson
2005-07-10 21:18:47 UTC
Post by Martin Whelan
The Lincolnshire Show which is a similar status event has never had any
SCouting involvement as far as i can recall, mainly due to cost/benefit
and time (most of these shows are during the week). To be honest I am
not sure how much could be gained from attendence at these events other
than raising the profile of Scouting amongst a generally supportive
cohort.
We looked at the possibility of a Scout presence at the main East of
England Show, but decided that the likely attendance at this event was
from a very much wider area than might be useful for our local
Peterborough recruitment needs - Martin's point above underlines this.
(It would also have been pretty expensive).
I have in the past attended more localised rural shows, in the Dales and
in Scotland, where there has been a Scout presence, and these have
always appeared to be effective in local visibility terms. But perhaps
this was because Scouting was already accepted as a valued part of the
local infrastructure?
Chris A.
--
Chris Atkinson : ***@cgautc.demon.co.uk
When all is said and done - there's usually more said than done.
John Ferguson
2005-07-10 21:56:08 UTC
Post by Chris Atkinson
Post by Martin Whelan
[...]
At the New Forest Show last year there was a huge van / trailer with
Scouting writing all over it. Because of the professional (expensive)
looking job on the van I assumed that it had come from HQ.
John Ferguson
Chris
2005-07-11 11:05:21 UTC
Post by John Ferguson
At the New Forest Show last year there was a huge van / trailer with
Scouting writing all over it. Because of the professional (expensive)
looking job on the van I assumed that it had come from HQ.
Could this be the MDU? http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/hq/pr/mdu/index.htm

We had it at Southend Airshow a few months back and it made an excellent
advert for Scouting.
Chris Atkinson
2005-07-11 11:24:33 UTC
Post by John Ferguson
At the New Forest Show last year there was a huge van / trailer with
Scouting writing all over it. Because of the professional (expensive)
looking job on the van I assumed that it had come from HQ.
Yup! It's the MDU (Mobile Display Unit. Search on SBUK for MDU and
you'll find all the details.
Yes it looks expensive and professional (GREAT!!) - but there's some
hefty sponsorship underlying this initiative. The only drawback - apart
from the waiting list :-) is that you must have two local staff trained
in it's use. Training for this is done (AFAIK) at Gilwell in the quiet
season i.e. January-ish.
We looked at the charge from the E of E Showground for the space this
MDU would take up, and it was a tad breathtaking! And I'm a member -
but there ain't no concessions :-(
Chris A.
James Smith
2005-07-11 06:14:29 UTC
Post by Chris Atkinson
Post by Martin Whelan
The Lincolnshire Show which is a similar status event has never had
any SCouting involvement as far as i can recall, mainly due to
cost/benefit and time (most of these shows are during the week). To be
honest I am not sure how much could be gained from attendence at these
events other than raising the profile of Scouting amongst a generally
supportive cohort.
We looked at the possibility of a Scout presence at the main East of
England Show, but decided that the likely attendance at this event was
from a very much wider area than might be useful for our local
Peterborough recruitment needs - Martin's point above underlines this.
(It would also have been pretty expensive).
I don't know if it still does but Norfolk Scouting and Guiding always
used to have a spot at the Royal Norfolk Show, about a marquee's worth +
plus some time in a mini arena in front of it.
Chris A.
Chris Atkinson
2005-07-11 11:24:45 UTC
Post by James Smith
I don't know if it still does but Norfolk Scouting and Guiding always
used to have a spot at the Royal Norfolk Show, about a marquee's worth +
plus some time in a mini arena in front of it.
And I've noticed that the Annual Rutland BirdWatching Fair (erm, sorry
about that, but honest injun I'm not twitching right now) usually has a
fair contingent of Scouts from (I think) the Stamford area helping with
parking and so on. Good visibility/ publicity.
Chris A.
Ewan Scott
2005-07-11 13:41:51 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by JamesDean
its the great yorkshire show next week, so does anyone know what
scouting is doing at it? i'm going to the event for the first time on
tuesday, it'd be nice to see some scouting shouting happening
Probably nothing!!!
It is a long time since I have been but there was nothing then. The SL of
the Troop I am now with goes every year and has never mentioned anything
about any Scouting involvement.
Bit smaller, but I visited Brighouse Gala Day and there were three Scout
Groups present with hot dog/ burger stalls. Only youth member in view at the
time was a Beaver - I didn't think it was a wonderful advert for Scouting
at all, but that's just me.

Ewan Scott
Dave
2005-07-11 14:42:28 UTC
"Ewan Scott" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:datsuv$egi$***@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
SNIP
Post by Ewan Scott
Bit smaller, but I visited Brighouse Gala Day and there were three Scout
Groups present with hot dog/ burger stalls. Only youth member in view at the
time was a Beaver - I didn't think it was a wonderful advert for Scouting
at all, but that's just me.
Ewan Scott
I would tend to agree with you - it does however depend on what the Groups
were trying to achieve.

If they were trying to recriut new members or leaders then they were way off
mark just having a Beaver accidentally in uniform and in selling hot dogs at
all.

If on the other hand they were not trying to "sell" Scouting but just raise
funds then I guess that it didn't matter whether they were Scouts, Guides,
Boys Brigade or the local youth club.

I do know that at one local Gala round here the Scouts and Guides used to
run the cocanut shy - I am not sure whether they wore uniforms or not but
ALL the funds raised went into the gala fund and then any profits from the
day could be applied for by the various organisations from the village. In
this case they could raise a lot of money for the fund and an organisation
who had done nothing at the gala could apply for funding and the Scouts
could (although never did) get nothing.

DaveB
West Yorks